Friday, October 3, 2008

Crazy Horses ... (warning long post!)


So last night was one of those crazy unexpected Paris nights , and boy am I still recovering. Granted it doesn't help that I am working tomoerrow , a SATURDAY! Its so depressing, but hey thats not the story. I guess I need to recount it all for it to make sense.

One of my best friends from Uni was visiting this week from the Philippines. And well I guess the fact that over there she is somewhat high profile actress/singer etc kinda is part of the events . In any case she and her entourage were already meant to have left Paris when she called me yesterday after work that " Hey we decided to stay a day longer , do you feel like joining us for a dinner cruise + show at the crazy horse?! All on us of course!"Seriously? I was still beat from going out on Monday but it sounded fun so I finished buying my magazine&books at WHSmith, and met them at their hotel, of course still in work clothes just like another friend who came straight from the fashion salon's where she's showing her head pieces and heats.

So all the girls cram into my friends room franticly trying to catch up on girl talk, stuff laduree into us and put on various make-up and hats of our friends colection.(Did I mention the head pieces were sparkly embroidered girls spreading their legs Klimt-Schiele style, we were basicly wearing very stilish vaginas on our heads!) Then its off, a group of six friends in a chauffeured car to the dinner cruise. Its all great and fun except when we arrive turns out there was a misunderstanding and cruise is without dinner. Plus seeing lines of shivering people wait for the boat to let them on , didn't look too glamorous , so we decided to find a restaurant.
And on it was to the 6New York where our fabulous french friend L.(who by the way will be awarded the legion d'honneur this month) talked them into freeing a table up for us. Thats when the champagne started popping. We had a quick dinner and off it was for the show at the crazy horse.

I guess for me the legendary trio of Lido / Moulin Rouge / and Crazy Horse had always kind of enticing entertainment promise about it. But today I was shocked to find that not one but two collegues have never heard of them.

Its kind of hard to describe them . I guess its circus meets stripping meets burleque. Wih perfect dancers bodies and lots of titties and ass. (sorry guys but there is no classy way of expalining the crazy horse). It was fun and funny. The place was full with groups of business men or poor naive couples who thought it would be a tame dinner show.But honestly I think the only way to experience it is with friends and copious amounts of champagne. The girls are so perfect its sad and the tapdancing twenties era twins the funnies bit. The way those girls move I fascinating, my female friends all started getting jelous, but seriously there will always be more attractive people than oneself and just the sheer easthetic of those bodies made me proud to be a woman. I mean such a show would never work with men's bodies. Though honestly I thought it would be sexier , I kind of wished it had more of the gritty glamour of 20s burlesque. The 80s style lights and music gave it all a bit of a sex prepackaged in cellophane feel. I feel like checking out the Lido now maybe its more like I imagine it.

In any case we all had fun, I left the party after the show to go to the caveau to pick up my slightly drunk fiancee, with whom we then made it home by 3am.

So that was last night as I said I'm still recovering and well my musings about Paris fall and work etc will have to wait for next time... unless something exciting happens of cours. :-)

No comments: